[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First Light!!!

From: 	Richard Staron[SMTP:rstaron-at-widow.aracnet-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, September 22, 1997 8:25 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	First Light!!!

I DID IT!!!!

Well I finally got first light on my first coil.  Always wanted to build
one and now its working.  Gotta thank Robert W. Stephens for being a
good mentor during the building stage.  Thanks Robert!

I am getting about 18" streamers from the toroid and still experimenting
with different toroids sizes and shapes.  This coil looks like it needs
a lot of capacitance on top.

SPECS:

Primary:   1/4" copper tubing, spaced 1/4" apart
           ID: 6"  OD: 20" approx 15 turns
           Tapered primary at 30 degrees
           Tapped at about 9-10 turns from center

Secondary: 18" long x 4-3/16" white drain pipe
           22 gauge wire  inductance approx 12 mh.
           Coil can be moved up and down within the primary.

           Next coil has been wound with #26 wire 21"long x 4 3/16"
           inductance approx 30 mh. (waiting for varathane to dry :) )

XFMR:      15kv-at-30ma neon.

Capacitor: .005 ufd -at- 50KV

Chokes:    2   1 in each leg of xfmr
           3.8" od x 1" id x .5 wide homemade plexiglass bobbin.
           #26 wire wound randomly until filled.

Toroids:   17" Diam x 4"  stacked over  12" diam x 3"
           (more toroids I stacked, the more spark I got!)
           Still playing around here.

Spark gap: 2 gaps -at- .080" wide using 3/4" ball bearings as electrodes.
           No air over gap (yet!)
Safety gap: 1 gap -at- .5"  using 3/4" ball bearings as electrodes

Ground:  3/4" copper braid to cold water pipe in basement.

Results so far:  2-3 Streamers breaking away to a distance of about 18"
                 Stacking toroids seems to increase streamer length.
                 Safety gap fires about 5% of the time.
                 A lot of ozone!!!
                 Trembling knees :)

Future enhancements:  Insert new secondary coil
                      Build a new multi gap spart gap.
                      Find an old vacuum cleaner motor!
                      Take a bunch of pictures.