[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Neons and Sync Gaps

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 23, 1997 2:42 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Neons and Sync Gaps

Hi John,

No, it doesn't. Without airblast, first notch is rare except with a
strongly ionized attached output streamer.

> Maybe the static gap actually gives a longer firing time, but as
> the energy gets weak, after multiple beats, the arc then quenches
> at a "less than zero" point on one of these later beats due to the
> drawn out air blown spark in the static gap?  Who knows?

Might be time for the scope again. I've never seen it quench with
energy still in the primary. I wasn't using airblast as such - just a
gentle breeeze from a fan. Can your rotary quench first notch with
no output streamer? Wherever that energy is coming from, it doesn't
need to be a great deal to seriously overvolt the neon. It was very
low judging by the safety gap discharge. 1/2 inch "safety" gap
setting is no real safety at all.

Still tryin' to crack it I guess,
Malcolm