[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Artificial Line Measurements

From: 	Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D.[SMTP:msr7-at-po.cwru.edu]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 24, 1997 2:14 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Artificial Line Measurements

Hello Malcolm and All,
        Malcolm's artificial line matches quite well what we expect from a
tesla coil: highly inductive properties at the base and highly capacitive
behavior at the top.

>The Line:
>
>       1.6mH   800uH   400uH   200uH   100uH    50uH    25uH
>   -----ooo--+--ooo--+--ooo--+--ooo--+--ooo--+--ooo--+--ooo--+---
>             |       |       |       |       |       |       |
>            ---     ---     ---     ---     ---     ---     ---
>In          ---     ---     ---     ---     ---     ---     ---   Out (Top)
>             |       |       |       |       |       |       |
>   ----------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+---
>           10pF     22pF    50pF    100pF  220pF    470pF   1nF

        His experiments finally convinced me to take some measurements of my
own.  I modified a small tesla coil last night by scraping off the enamel in
several places and soldering leads on the otherwise closewound coil.  This
gave me nine tap points equally spaced along the secondary.  After four
hours of setup and data collection, I got some initially unexpected results,
which are now beginning to make sense, as I begin to crunch the numbers.
The voltage rise along the resonator is not a sinusoidal standing wave.
More on this after I write up my lab notes.
Regards,
Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D.