[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Neons and Sync Gaps

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 24, 1997 3:32 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Neons and Sync Gaps

Hi John,

It was 1/2" total. Total main gap setting was 1/4". There might be a
rule of thumb emerging out of this as you can see. The safety gap
wouldn't fire beyond this setting. I would therefore expect that a
1/2" main gap would cause a safety gap to fire up to 1" or so. That
being so, it becomes clear that if a transformer is designed and
wound to spec, the secondary should be able to withstand 2x o/c
output voltage impressed as a fast risetime impulse across its
secondary. For real safety, I'd say a 3x rating would be something of
a guarantee. It is becoming very clear why the neons are inherently
weak in Tesla service as Richard Hull eloquently puts it.
    BTW, I'm part way through unpotting my unit. I will persist to
the death and am going to modify the core (which appears to be E-I
lams on my unit) to build a robust 2kVA unit. I am planning to cut
the centre leg of the E's and make bobbins to fit at opposite ends
of the core a la:

         --------------------------------------
         |                                     |
         |      -------------------------      |
    -----------------              --------------------
      |           |                   |            |
      |           |                   |            |
    -----------------              --------------------
         |      -------------------------      |
         |                                     |
         ---------------------------------------

This gives a huge winding window and would allow for the insertion of
shunts if so desired. BTW, the secondary wire in the original is not
as small as I thought but based on what I've seen so far, the enamel
they've used is no match for modern polythemaleze. I am not surprised
it failed given what I know now. They sure didn't build them for
Tesla service.
    BTW, the unpotting is a horribly messy business. However, I'm
indebted to Richard Quick for the information he provided which gave
me the inspiration I needed.
    Lastly, the gap distances and known o/c peak output voltage of
the transformer suggests the 35kV/inch rule is a very useful guide
for these sorts of distances.

I am going to place a caveat on this. I regard the above guide as
true for sharpened wire ends. However, nice rounded electrodes should
have this figure doubled IMO. I think based on observation (plus
information from Glasoe and HPE) that 70kV/inch is far more realistic
for a typical gap electrode. In other words, if you static gap is set
at 1/2", you are probably firing at 30kV+ so watch those transformers.
I have Jason in mind while saying this. According to this then, my
setup was firing at around 17kV which was the o/c peak transfromer
voltage. Sorry for equivocating once again :(

Malcolm