[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Old Inventions

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 14:17:36 +0500
From: "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Old Inventions

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997 05:34:13 -0700 (PDT) Gary Weaver
<gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net> wrote;

> I remember some posts where people were asking about winding there own High
> Voltage transformer and about Model A or T buzz box ignition coils.  So this
> should be of interest to someone.
>
> Tesla Coils are only one of my interests.  I am also interested in antique
> engines.  I have a directory that comes out once a year that lists all the
> antique engine shows in the United States and Canada.  I attend a dozen or
> more engine shows ever summer and have found lots of intersting stuff
> besides engines.

Hay Gary, do you think you could tell me about any of those shows in
the Philadelphia and surounding area? Off the list orf course.

> Yesterday I attended a show in Cookville TN and found 5 buzz box ignition
> coils for a model A or T, don't know which for $10.00 each.  I didn't buy
> one but I remember a post several months ago someone asking where they could
> buy some of these.

That's a damn good price! Reproductions cost like five times that!

> I also found some antique high voltage transformers.  I have to call them
> transformers because I am not sure what the correct name is for them.  These
> transformers are made by using a bundle of steel wires as the core.  Wires
> 1/8" x 12" long are placed in a bundle about 2" in diameter.  2 wood blocks
> about 1.5" thick x 4" x 4" have a 2" hole drilled in the center of each
> block.  A wooden block is pushed on each end of the bundle of wires to hold
> the wired in place.  The wooden block also acts like an transformer end for
> the primary and secondary coil winding.  A thick layer on paper insulation
> is wound over the wires.  Then the secondary coils in wound over the steel
> wires. The secondary wires are attached to 2 terminals on one of the wooden
> block.  Another layers of
> insulation in wound over the secondary coil then the primary coil is wound
> over that.  The primary wires are connected to the other wooden block with 2
> terminals.  Actually the primary coil might be wound on first and the
> secondary on secondary I can't tell just by looking at the thing from the
> outside.  I can't remember the manufacture name but brass tag on the end of
> one wooden block
> said ( ????? Chicago Electric Co.).  The tag also said 120 VAC to 10,000.
> VAC.  The guy was asking $30.00 each for these antique transformers.   I
> didn't buy one.  But this gave me some ideas and it might give some one else
> some ideas too.

Hmmmm, sounds like an induction coil without the vibrator. Since
these are open core transformers they are not going to be very
efficient, especially at 60Hz. might work nice though if feed with a
square wave at say 20 KHz.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/