[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Neons and Sync Gaps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 14:26:42 -0600 (MDT)
From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Neons and Sync Gaps

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 25, 1997 4:31 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Neons and Sync Gaps

<< snip
> I am going to place a caveat on this. I regard the above guide as
> true for sharpened wire ends. However, nice rounded electrodes should
> have this figure doubled IMO. I think based on observation (plus
> information from Glasoe and HPE) that 70kV/inch is far more realistic
> for a typical gap electrode. In other words, if you static gap is set
> at 1/2", you are probably firing at 30kV+ so watch those transformers.
> I have Jason in mind while saying this. According to this then, my
> setup was firing at around 17kV which was the o/c peak transfromer
> voltage. Sorry for equivocating once again :(

> Malcolm

Malcolm,

Aha, I see what you plan for your tranny rebuild, yes, should be robust,
(and prevent a re-bust :) ).    I use # 12 awg copper wire for my safety
gaps, and I bend a small loop at the sparking end about 3/8" O.D., so
it's not a point...nor a ball, sort of in between.  I find that 3/8" safety
gap setting (one on each side of tranny for 3/4" total) is needed to
prevent safety gap firing when I operate with 32kV peak on my caps.
Hope this trivia is of some use.

John Freau