[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: filtering question

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 17:06:50 -0700
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: filtering question (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Rob,

The pig will withstand virtually any abuse your coil can dish out... and
filters are not necessary. However, filters may be somewhat effective in
reducing the amount of high frequency radio frequency interference (RFI)
radiated when your spark gap fires. This "hash" comes from the shock
excitation of the parasitic inductance and capacitance associated with
the wiring between your pig and the spark gap. The longer the runs
between the pig and the gap, the longer the "antenna" that's radiating
this hash. To reduce it, filters would need to be installed physically
close to the spark gap, and in series with the HV feeds going back to
the pig. I'm not aware of anyone actually making any before-after
radiation measurements, however...

Re: the power-line filters, your suggestion that they be reversed makes
sense, since it's the coil that's the generator of the interference, not
the receiver. Practially speaking, it really doesn't matter very much as
long as you use the type which has coupled series chokes in EACH line
and caps on either side. Note, you MAY want to add a rather LARGE, high
voltage cap (say 10 uF or more at 1000 VAC) directly across the mains to
help absorb kickbacks. A large industrial MOV (1000+ Joules) rated for
240 Volt operation is also not a bad investment. The combination may
help save the more sensitive electronic equipment that's also tied to
your house mains.

-- Bert H --