[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

where to find fcc rules

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 23:07:20 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: where to find fcc rules

> I am still a little unsure of the FCC rules - can someone tell me what
> to look up in the library that has all the rules?

Title 47, Code of Federal Regulations is all the stuff for FCC.  I don't
recall which part has the frequency assignments, but I think it is part 2.

> And also, I thought that as long as the RF output of a Tesla Coil is
> lower than the AM band (540kHz) that that would be OK. Is this true or
> not? For example, what would the FCC say about a 150kHz-200kHz TC?
> Perhaps the output has other frequencies besides the res freq?

You are sadly mistaken about frequencies lower than AM band being open
territory. For example there are radio navigation signals at around 10 kHz
(Omega), around 100 kHz (Loran), 200-400 kHz (Low frequency omnidirectional
beacons), and so forth.  There is a license free band at 180 kHz, but the
power is severely limited (1 or 5 watts as I recall). This list is by no
means exhaustive.

The basic rule on interference is, as long as nobody can detect your
radiation, you are nominally legal, although you may be in technical
violation.  Of course, if you were to tune up for an exact harmonic of 60
Hz, your noise will blend in with all the noise from the SCR speed
controls, dimmers, and phase angle power controllers, as well as the corona
from power lines, etc.