[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnetic pulse Tesla Coil

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Sunday, April 05, 1998 7:11 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Magnetic pulse Tesla Coil

Hi Scott:

That I gathered.

Try this reality check: what happens if you complete the magnetic
circuit by *adding more* magnetic material to form a closed loop?

> >> But how do you get the energy out in a form that can 1) drive a tesla
> >> primary and 2) not destroy a wimpy FET?
> >
> >I am not at all clear on the total setup. Could you post a simple
> >ASCII diagram please? Forget jpgs unless they are uuencoded. My
> >mailer can't handle the various arcane formats that come my way.
> >

>           +200V
>           __|
>           B 10mH
>           B||
>     |-----B||B-----BBBBB----------------B
> ---||<-    ||B   Hard ferrite           B 10ohm Tesla primary
>     |--    ||B   magnetic saturating    B
>       |    ||B   switch                 |
>       |  core|    80 ohms off           |
>      GND     |    2  ohms on           GND
>             GND
>

> >You can do an awful lot better than 1/3. A HV diode is typically used
> >as the steering element in flyback designs.
>
> Where can I find a HV diode that can handle around 2KV at 2KA!

Westcode amongst others make them. However, recovery times are not
stunning. In fact, I have plans on the backburner to use some of
these plus some Westcode thyristors to replace the gap in a lo-F
coil.

> >> 3) (extra credit) Save or conserve any reflected energy from the Tesla Coil,
> >> via the reflected port on the directional coupler. Another directional
> >> coupler? A circulator?
> >
> >Try an energy recovery winding. An additional benefit is that it can
> >be used to clamp Vds to a specific voltage above Vsupply if the
> >seconday ever becomes unloaded.
>
> Energy recover? Where & how?

It is an additional winding on the transformer core. It is connected
between the gnd and 200V rails with a diode in series and winding
sense set such that it passes current during the flyback period.
Flyback voltage appearing across the FET is determined by the turns
ratio between the primary and this extra winding.

> >Perhaps I'm misreading what you are trying to do. A diagram would be
>
> I've been reading about things like transductors and saturating switches.
> Because the magnetic diode's core saturates, at high currents it acts as a
> low impedance. After 1/3 to 1/2 the energy get absorbed by the coil, the
> reflected  energy returning to the magnetic diode won't have enough energy
> to saturate it. Kind of like a high ocean wave can wash over a wall, and
> then the wave ripples in a holding pool.

Interesting idea. I think a system using the ordinary old primary
capacitor would be a lot easier to implement.