[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

30MHz Spark Gap Testing - Is this real??

----------
From:  Jim Fosse [SMTP:jim.fosse-at-bjt-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, April 07, 1998 2:07 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: 30MHz Spark Gap Testing - Is this real??

Hi Terry,

>	When equipment capable of much higher bandwidth is employed this picture
>seems to change dramatically.  When one terminates a quality antenna into
>the proper 50 ohm impedance the fundamental signal seems overwhelmed by
>heavy noise spikes.  This explains why a simple wire is often used as a
>scope probe to receive primary waveforms as opposed to a higher quality
>antenna system.  The simple wire and its very poor impedance matching to the
>input of an oscilloscope attenuate these noise signals so that only a nice
>clean signal is left.
>	If one uses a high bandwidth properly terminated antenna, a series of noise
>spikes are seen (my testing was done without the secondary inductor in
>place).  Careful examination will show these spikes appear as a series of
>noise bursts that occur at the peaks of the fundamental frequency.  The
>power of these noise bursts is vastly higher than the fundamental waveform.
>In my testing, I have found that these burst consist of ~50MHz signal bursts
>that persist for about 100nS and then fall off to a much lower level.  The
>power of these bursts is remarkable.

First, you are hitting any LC circuit (distributed elements or not)
with what amounts to a Dirac delta function. If it can ring, it will.
I've seen "RFI" (using a 3' wire antennae) into the 100s of MHz when
just running my rotary spark gap from my PIG with 6' of connecting
wire. I did not have the primary or secondary of my TC connected in
this test. I was just testing out my rotary gap.

Secondly, the power levels are high enough that unintentional pickup
becomes a real problem.

Put some opaque tape over your fiber optic cable and then run your
system. Do you still see the signal? If so, it's from a parasitic
antennae. Don't forget that black plastic IS conductive. I've measured
1 megohm per foot on black 1/4" vacuum hose.

I've included 3 private posts to Malcolm Watts regarding my
experiments with a photodiode looking at my static spark gap. I had
some very read problems with unintentional pickup.