[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DIY Ball Lightning

----------
From:  Edward V. Phillips [SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent:  Thursday, April 09, 1998 2:34 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re:  DIY Ball Lightning

"I think the relevant parameter is a bunch of current, sub batteries or 750
kVA distribution transformer or whatever. There is a bit of literature
which talks about these switch gear induced plasma balls being distinctly
greenish (Cu ion emission?)."

	It doesn't take that much!  There a bunch of burn marks
on our kitchen table which resulted from shorted wires in
the lamp over it.  Was unscrewing a shot bulb when the socket
twisted and brought the lead wires together.  Plenty of sound
and green light, with little blobs bouncing around on the table!

	I'm sure they were blobs of molten copper, and would bet
the sub battery experiments were similar, although on a much more
satisfying scale.

Ed
P.S.  I'm sure some of the reported episodes are due to
after image retained on the retina after exposure to a
very bright flash.  They can appear to dart around as you
move your eyeballs.

Ed