[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Parts

----------
From:  gweaver [SMTP:gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Sunday, April 12, 1998 7:09 AM
To:  Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Parts

I picked up a transformer at the scrap yard last week.  It works great for
current limiting.  Primary is 240/480 VAC.  Secondary is 120/240 VAC.  Its
rated 3KW.  I paid $10.00 for it and don't need it because I already have
one.  I know everyone is always looking for bargin parts so if anyone wants
this thing they can have it for $10.00 plus shipping.

I wired my transformer 240 on the primary and 240 on the secondary.  I use
hot water heater elements as the load in the transformer.  I have several
load resistors (elements) in parallel on the transformer.  By adding or
removing the resistors I can change the current.  I ran this on my 18KW high
voltage transformer and limited the current to 12KW with no trouble.
Several short runs over a period of 30 minutes never made the current
limiting transformer get hot or evey get very warm. I have the circuit for
this on my web page at http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~gweaver.

BTW.  I also have a 100 horse power 480 VAC motor starter that I got at the
scrap yard last summer that I have never used.  I was planning to use this
as the ON/OFF switch for my 10" TC but never did.  Is anyone interested in
this thing?

Gary Weaver