[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

40MHz Spark Gap Behavior

----------
From:  Hollmike [SMTP:Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, April 13, 1998 8:37 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: 40MHz Spark Gap Behavior

Terry,
    I can only theorize abut your question of why the gap oscillates at 50
mHz. Could the gap itself act like a very small cap in series with the
induction of the primary wiring?   The gap then would ring at this high
frequency once its voltage rating is exceeded and the current through it
begins to flow.  This would of course, destroy a normal capacitor, but the air
dielectric then "heals" itself once the conductive ions are displaced.  I
cannot really say that this is the case, it is just a thought that occurred to
me as I was reading this posting of yours.
Mike Hollingsworth