[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark Gaps

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Tuesday, April 14, 1998 4:25 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Spark Gaps

Hi Jim,

<snip>

> 3) Faster interruption of the spark. As opposed to just waiting for the
> current to go through a zero, the gap is physically separated. The sudden
> circuit opening causes the voltage across the primary inductor to rise,
> inducing a similar rise in the secondary. The faster the interruption
> (di/dt) the more the rise.

I would like to see some proof that you can actually do that. It is
hard enough putting a gap out if energy is still residing in the
secondary and moving back into the primary. There is clear evidence
from Electrum's waveforms that Greg's gap can't manage it on a
primary current null with less than 10% of the original energy still
in the secondary. After a number of radical experiments, I have
basically given up on trying to quench the gap in this fashion, let
alone trying to interrupt an arc in progress. You are absolutely
right about di/dt - in fact this is what makes the exercise
impossbile.

Malcolm