[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnifier 13 report

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Thursday, April 16, 1998 3:43 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Magnifier 13 report

Hi Richard,
             I'm going to follow this one with a great deal of
interest.

At the lowest tank inductance, I see the 3uS is commensurate with a
full cycle of ring at the tank resonant frequency. I gather the
thyratron didn't reignite despite the length of this pulse?

> The scope was next placed about 8 feet from the system with a 12" whip for a
> terminal in a BNC plug in channel 1 of the scope.  Depending on resonator,
> the peak voltage recorded on the damped waves was 55v peak or 110volts pp.
> It was noted the resonators rung for as many as 51 cycles per pop. showing
> maximum Q was realized and there was no swap back and forth interaction
> between the primary tank circuit and the driver secondary or the resonator.

What voltage (if any) was left on the primary cap following gap
cutoff?

> This being the case, and as expected, the tuning of the primary made
> absolutely no difference or had zero effect on the output frequency.  This
> frequency was rigidly fixed as being that of the resonator alone and was
> verified with scope measurements. The tuning did, as expected, influence the
> current in the tank with the lowest tap inductance sending the tank current
> to about 150 amps while the highest inductance point reduced it to about 40
> amps.  (Changing the effective surge impedance of the tank)  The sparks were
> thin and whispy and never exceeded three inches. (~70 watts input)  This
> system was not optimized as it was thrown together on a first pass.
>
> More data as things happen here.

That is a mode of operation the Corums emphasize on their literature.
Nice to have a gap that can actually do it :) It would be interesting
to compare peak output in this mode with peak output using a normal
gap. Can be done?

> Richard Hull, TCBOR

Regards,
Malcolm