[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Glycerine as a cap dielectric?

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, April 17, 1998 10:12 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Glycerine as a cap dielectric?

Glycerine is very hygroscopic, and as soon as it picks up any water, it is
a terrible insulator.

Distilled water has a dielectric constant of 80+ and is a fairly decent
insulator, as long as your pulses are less than a microsecond. It has no
breakdown voltage (i.e. it is a conductor, but a bad one, and the
conductivity is inversely proportional to frequency)