[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oil Information

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, April 17, 1998 12:01 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Oil Information

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Dale,

Petroleum-based insulating oils can be either "naphthenic" or
"paraffinic". Most transformer oils tend to be naphthenic, due to their
superior long-term high temperature performance. However, pure
"paraffinic" oils can also have excellent dielectric characteristics as
a capacitor dielectric fluid. As long as either type of oil is clear,
has no significant additives, and is relatively water-free, it should
work in your caps.

Most lubricating or motor oils tend to be paraffinic. While most common
insulating oils are napthenic, one of the best insulating oils, called
r-Temp, is paraffinic, and has excellent insulating characteristics for
capacitor or general purpose HV applications (such as X-Ray equipment).

Hope this helps!

-- Bert --