[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

breaking in caps

----------
From:  yubba [SMTP:yubba-at-clara-dot-net]
Sent:  Sunday, April 19, 1998 10:10 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  breaking in caps

hi all
      I am almost ready to start thinking about putting all my bits together.
The primary is finished ,so is the spark gap. The caps should be ready in a few
days, havent wound the secondary yet . I was going to do that while waiting for
the caps to settle in. My question is about breaking in the caps.  Is it ok to
run the system without the secondary? . what I was planning to do was run the
system up slowly to help break in the caps. I know shorted turns are  a definate
no no but what about  no load conditions? Also what about  RFI from this set up.
Do I need to do it away from any electronics/ computers. Also I have found a
cake tin which would make a great toroid. The only problem is it's only 9"
diameter by 4" deep. would this do as a first top load to tune my coil?  coil
details secondary  4" x 24" 800 turns 22AWG :  9Kv 50mA neon : 0.0177 uF cap
:10 turns 3/8" primary : RQ spark gap. I havent come across this question in the
archives so hope it 's not to obvious. Many thanks

bob golding  lightning without rain

bob yubba-at-clara-dot-net