[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PE covered secondary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 08:39:47 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: PE covered secondary

The varnish, polyurethane, acrylic resin, epoxy, glyptal, or whatever, is
generally fairly non-viscous, and, so tends to wick in between the turns of
wire, aiding in removing air bubbles between windings, and increasing
dielectric strength. Someone, I believe it is Greg Leyh, actually casts his
windings, removing the sonotube form after the resin has set-up.

The other reason is that it looks nice and people have always done it. The
latter is an important factor in something as empirical as Tesla coils.