[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LDPE (clear or white/translucent?) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 22:51:57 +0300
From: Harri Suomalainen <haba-at-cc.hut.fi>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: LDPE (clear or white/translucent?) (fwd)

>I went to my local plastic supplier for LDPE (.030 mil) and what they had
>wasn't clear.  They called  it white/translucent.  Is this OK to use as a
>dielectric?  The counter dweeb said that it turns whitish at that
thickness.

Unfortunately color does not tell you everything. You should have info on
*material*. Important factors might be eg. fillers (if used) which tend to
lower cap Q (ie. higher losses).

Weather it is transparen or not might be just a matter of mechanical
handling.
Some same polymers might be white when molded but transparent when
it is a sort of "pulled" by the mashinery to alling microscopic fibres.
I've
seen nice practical examples of such.

If it is pure PE it is pure PE. Yet, even different PE grades do have
differences.
Thats why you usually overrate it to take much more voltage etc and assume
low losses which is true for most cases.

--
Harri Suomalainen     mailto:haba-at-cc.hut.fi

We have phone numbers, why'd we need IP-numbers? - a person in a bus