[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 15kV Neons and a pole oinker. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 19:47:24 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: 15kV Neons and a pole oinker. (fwd)

At 09:26 PM 4/25/98 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]
parallel, then I will get 60mA... I am almost sure of that.  I remember
reading a message that said that two transformers must be "in phase" before
the current will double.  If they have the same line level input, then won't
this be automatic?  (the two transformers are identical brand/condition/etc).

-----------------------------------------   snip

>> And one last thing, out of curiosity....  how many 15kV neons does it
take to get the power of a pole pig?  (and where in the world do you get
these monsters?  ... I hope you don't steal them off the pole in my block,
as my power would go out!!!  and that means no tesla!  heheh)

>Assuming that the 15kV's are 30mA and the Pole Mount is 5 KVA -at- ~15kV
>
>(pulls out calculator)
>
>~11 NST's given the above specs and assuming that you aren't overloading
>the xfmrs
>>
>> Thanks for your time!
>>

>Sure
>
>> And this list is always a GREAT read!
>
>You have my agreement there
>>
>> J Day
>> jon-at-axionet-dot-com
>
>--
>JMac

  JDay, JMac, All -

  I agree this list is always a GREAT read and one way to get a reply is to
post something that is not exactly correct.

  The 11 neons as above will not be equivalent to a 5 KVA pole transformer.
The neons are not only current limited but have completely different
electrical characteristics compared to pole transformers. Tesla coils
operate by briefly shorting the transformer. The 11 neons as above can
produce only about 0.33 amps when shorted. This is much less than the
current produced when a 5 KVA pole transformer is shorted.

  A pole transformer can produce over 10 times its current rating when
shorted. It is obvious that for Tesla coil use the pole transformer has to
be current limited. The amount of current limiting has a profound effect on
the length of spark that is emited from the secondary terminal. Comparing
Tesla coils using pole transformers should take into consideration the
amount of current limitation but is always IGNORGED!!??

  There is much more information available regarding these two types of
transformers in the back files of the Tesla List.

  John Couture