[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Creeping Sparks and Homemade Caps... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 14:24:27 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Creeping Sparks and Homemade Caps... (fwd)

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Creeping Sparks and Homemade Caps... (fwd)
> Date: Saturday, April 25, 1998 8:20 PM

Polyethylene melts at a pretty low temperature. How about heat sealing
under vacuum. Make the stack of plates and insulation, pull a vacuum to
remove the air (possibly backfill with a better gas: SF6, Freon, etc.),
compress it, then heat it up. The polyethylene will bond around the tabs
coming out, essentially making them an insulated wire, with no air space
(That's why you do it under vacuum) for minimal corona.

Or, you could put some sort of semiconductive paste or film around the
plates where they leave the "body" of the capacitor to reduce the voltage
stress, like they do with HV hookup wire.