[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor check (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:46:42 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Capacitor check (fwd)

Hi Sulaiman,

I just did a quick check with a piece of acrylic and 12kV in air. The
atmosphere is rather damp here but I noted corona tracking at over an
inch and actual sparks about 2/3".  I would say no more than 18kV or
so before corona would be a significant problem for 2" in air. In
oil, 25kV is a guestimate. Something to be measured and a table made
up for sure. The real problem is a lack of radius of curvature for
the plate edges. Corona starts at rather low voltages and will deal
to the plastic long before sparks do.

Malcolm