[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cigar secondary coil form (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:21:30 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Cigar secondary coil form (fwd)

You can "weld" polyethylene pretty easily if you have the requisite plastic
welding "torch" (it's basically a cartridge heater and an air supply, and
blows hot air out the tip). You can also epoxy polyethylene if it is
properly oxidized first (with chromic acid, I believe). And, you can epoxy
polyethylene by pretreating it with a sparker, which creates little tiny
holes in it that the epoxy can bond into, providing a mechanical
connection, if not an adhesive one.

You should be able to weld/fuse teflon the same way, although I am not sure
about whether you would have to do this in an inert atmosphere or something
more exotic.

Why not just use the windings themselves to hold the sheet of whatever in
place? You'll do your winding under a few pounds tension, which with a
typical 500 or so turns gives you 1000 pounds plus force holding the gap
together....