[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bending plexiglas to create a coil form (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 16:02:27 EDT
From: FutureT <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Bending plexiglas to create a coil form

<<
> > Making your own tube for a secondary form is a very viable option. I have
> > made large diameter plexiglass tubes like 2 feet in diameter by heating a
> > 1/4 inch thick sheet and then bending it into tube shape and then joining
> > the seam with methylene chloride. It's sure a lot cheaper buying the sheet
> > than an already formed tube!

>     I never thought you could get it to bend that much!

Nice work.

I made a secondary form 7" in dia. by 19" high by bending a heated
sheet of flat 1/8" plexiglas, but what a nightmare.  Parts of the plexiglas
got too hot and started to shrink, and it was hard to get the seam to
bend enough.  I had to finish the job with a propane torch.  Eventually
the job got done and produced a useable, but not perfect form.

I'm sure with the proper equipment and experience, it can be done
better and more easily, but I think I'll look for pre-formed forms in the
future    :)

John Freau