[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotor gaps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 01:08:36 -0600
From: "D.C. Cox" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Rotor gaps (fwd)

to: Shaun

A synchro RSG fires at every positive and negative 60 Hertz peak in exact
sync with the 60 Hertz AC line.  It runs at 1800 RPM and has 4 rotor
electrodes.  A non-synchro motor, either 1800 RPM or 1200 RPM will not
produce the same results as the synchro motor because you have no idea
where up the 60 Hertz charging ramp the gap will fire.  One time it might
fire at 80% up and the next it might even pass the top and not fire until
its on the downward side of the ramp.  It is not advisable to ever use a
non-synchro RSG with a neon sign transformer -- they will not take this
abuse and quickly die.  True 1800 RPM synchro motors are reasonably cheap
(around $40) and certainly worth the effort to find one.  Once running you
must use an o-scope to adjust the rotor on the shaft so you are sure it is
firing on the peaks and not somewhere else -- no way to tell when you first
put the rotor on the motor shaft.

The rotor dia. isn't critical at lower power levels -- must insure adequate
quenching which becomes more critical as power increases such as pole pig
powered units running cap values of .05 MFD or larger.  Try using a 7 inch
dia. x  1/4 inch thick type LE phenolic and use 1/8 or 3/16 inch dia.
tungsten tig electrodes.  Stationary electrodes should be at least 3/8 inch
dia to insure adequate cooling and therefore quenching.  Avoid using bolts
-- they do not carry RF currents with efficiency and will reduce your peak
current into the primary.  Will work but the sec. spark output is less
bright and "stringey".

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net