[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Short secondary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 16:14:35 -0700
From: Terry Perdue <terryp-at-halcyon-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Short secondary

Tesla gurus -

I started winding my secondary today, and ran out of wire prematurely -
rats! The spool I had picked up at a swap meet appeared unused, with a paper
wrap over it claiming it to be 9.5 pounds. I didn't even consider that it
might be short. I ran out after hand winding about 425 turns (17") on a 6"
diameter form. My intention was to wind about 900 turns. Should I start over
:-( or shorten the form and use what I've got? Can anyone estimate what
percentage discharge length I might be sacrificing? My goal was 3', using
one 15kV 60mA NST, Terry Fritz's new gap design, 1/4" copper pancake, .01
polyprop. xray cap., and 24" x 5" toroid.

Comments appreciated.

Terry Perdue