[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary/sec'y spacing for my big coil. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 11:47:15 -0700
From: lod-at-pacbell-dot-net
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Primary/sec'y spacing for my big coil.

Larry Bud Melman wrote:

> --Topload: beats the hell outta me.  I figure this thing will take a
> toroid in the 48-inch range.  I have no idea where to get one.  Try some
> muffler shops maybe - I remember that thread.  They'd be awful skinny though.
> Need a bigger X-section.  Probably end up with heating duct.

HV electrodes made up of discrete elements work quite well.
The last spherical electrode I made (out of concentric hoops)
gave a breakout voltage that was a surprisingly large fraction
of that for a smooth, perfect sphere!

I am presently building a larger toroid (28" x 108") for my
old coil, out of 1.9" OD Sch 5 aluminum tubing.  The toroid
cage will consist of 11 ring sets, and 12 radial supports.
SolidWorks tells me the finished toroid will weigh about 140lbs.

A JPEG of the new toroid can be had at:
http://www.lod-dot-org/toroid.jpg
--

-GL