[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Carrying a Full Load (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 17:41:14 EDT
From: Alfred A Skrocki <alfred.skrocki.sr-at-juno-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Carrying a Full Load (fwd)

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998 09:01:53 -0700 Bill Noble
<william_b_noble-at-email.msn-dot-com> wrote;

>if you re-read your response, you will see a contradiction.  If the
>item is not a diode, and there is no diode in the circuit, then it would
be
>impossible for it to be a capacitor that charges up in more than one
>half cycle (e.g. 7 ms).  I haven't taken the time to look up what it is,

>but an ohmmeter will tell you if it's a MOV or a diode (just beware that
the
>foward drop of a HV diode is several volts - maybe more than 10 V- so
you may
>need to put a higher voltage across it than the usual ohmmeter

You are right in that I should have said the capacitor gets charged for
about 1/120 of a second and NOT several seconds! BUT I do asure you that
the device in the "bug-zaper" is
a capacitor, I should know, I've replaced enough of them restoring
discarded "bug-zapers"

                               Alfred A. Skrocki
                          Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                 Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at:
                  http://WWW.GeoCities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]