[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pentode TC progress (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 08:21:08 PDT
From: Bill the arcstarter <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
To: craven-at-globalnet.co.uk, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Pentode TC progress

Richard Craven wrote:

>I amused myself by holding various ferrous items in the centre of the
>tank: a stainless steel goblet got hot enough in a bout 2 minutes to
>cause the old paint congealed in it to start smoking. A large
>screwdriver had its tip get pleasantly warm in about 20 seconds.

Welcome to the world of induction heating!

I once wound about 6 turns of 1/4 copper tubing around the base of a
pyrex test-tube, and connected it in place of my tesla primary.  This
device (off of a 15kv 60ma neon) would heat nails to red hot in about 30
seconds.  Loads of fun!  A nichrome loop would turn bright orange in
about 2 seconds!

 On my site is a schematic of an old spark-gap driven induction heater:
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160/ind1.html

So far I haven't had time to construct the auxillary tank coils and caps
for the whole effect.

Induction heating is low-profile but widely used industrial process for
the case-hardening of various object such as camshaft surfaces, gear
teeth, munitions, etc.  Some precision foundries
(aircraft/firearms/jewelry)  use induction heating under vacuum to
preserve the purity of the metallic castings.

-Bill the arcstarter
Starting arcs in Cinci, OH
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160