[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotaries and Neons (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 20:27:32 +0930
From: Mark Finnis <mefinnis-at-medicine.adelaide.edu.au>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Rotaries and Neons (fwd)

At 20:55 5/08/98 -0600, you wrote:

>> Terry, Gary Lau and all,
>>                           I'm seeking an opinion here: if one uses a
>> good RC filter with a NST, is there any remaining hurdle to using an
>> async rotary gap?

Since I sort of started this thread, asking about HP for the motor, thought
I'd share this for my Australian mates.

Can't find a sync motor for quids in this country :-(

Can import Reliance S-2000 in 1/8-2 HP for $1100, but this is supposed to
be a hobby, not the undoing of my financial security ;-)

Wandering through an electronic junk shop & found ....

	MDS  Ashland sync motor
	240V / 50 Hz / 0.25Amp / Cont. Duty Cycle
	1000 rpm	(so I figure 6 pole)
	1/100 HP ????

This motor looks a little big for 1/100 HP, and 0.25A x 240V = 60W ........
I can't remember the conversion (OK, OK, so I never knew it !) but this is
surely more than 1/100 HP ????

Cost $10  (can't lose at that price).  Works (even better).

Trying to hold the gear on the shaft there is no way I can slow the rotor.
Motor measures 10 x 10cm (4x4").

I have to confess, though I am supposedly well under the power requirement,
I will try building a RSG with this & report in due course on how it works.

After building all I will need is to borrow a CRO (being in a University
affiliated dept. has to have its benefits) and get *detailed* instructions
of exactly how to align the timing (...... MALCOLM !!)

As an aside, proud of myself no end tonight ... finally bought a DMM which
measures capacitance.  The two "0.05 uF" rolled caps I made for series
0.025 ....... 0.049 and 0.048 respectively ...... not bad for a beginner ;-)

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Finnis
http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis