[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotaries and Neons new question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 15:03:54 PDT
From: Mad Coiler <tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Rotaries and Neons new question

Since
>the inductance of the NST secondaries and the primary cap can resonate
the
>voltage to high values, a missed firing may allow high voltages on the
cap
>and NST.  The solution is very simple.  Use the rotary as you wish but
also
>have static safety gaps in case the rotary doesn't fire properly.
>

>        Terry Fritz

I really have no intention of using an asynch rotary on a NST but I
would like to learn as much as possible regardless. If you were using a
rotary with an NST, and also kept the break rate at 240BPS minimum, then
wouldnt that work? With atleast 240BPS you cant miss a gap firing on
each half cycle, right? And if you cap wasnt close to being resonant at
50/60Hz than it wouldnt charge to 'dangerously high' voltage levels? You
could use half the matched capacitance and twice as high break rate and
get the same average energy delivered into the primary? Like I said I
havent tried any of this - just wondering what the flaws are with my
thinking.

Tristan Stewart