[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Output Voltage vs. Firing Rate (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 11:06:08 -0400
From: Richard Hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Output Voltage vs. Firing Rate (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

John is right on here!

The sync gap is good for optimum delivery at the lower firing rates.  At higher
rates and if used in  very large systems.  The non-sync gap allows a lot more
freedom of adjustment.  The importnat thing to remember is the number of
PRESENTATIONS is rarely, if ever, the BREAK RATE rate in such systems.  I commonly
have about 4-6 firings per half cycle in my magnifier systems with the non sync
series quench rotary and also in my micro 20 watt systems with the 4kv 30 ma
transformers and 15 gap static gaps.  Long spark are the order of the day as the
ion lifetimes are extended even by the "mouse" burst of the lower part of the
sine.  These "whimp" pulses will shoot out along the entire existing arc channel
just as well as a Vpeak blast will!  I have all this on tape.  The whimp blasts
cause a fractional second dimming of the arc channel, but it is still re-enforced
and restored ionically.

This action with fast non-sync series rotary gaps, small capacitances in the
primary tank coupled with huge resonator terminal capacities, and large input
votlage have been the key design basis for all of our magnifier systems since
1992.  The beginnings of these ideas were sort of worked out on Nemesis (standard
coil) in 1991.

My work with gaseous conduction from 1995 on, helped understand the mechanism
better.

Richard Hull, TCBOR