[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

371 and 576 specs (fwd)

----------
From:  Kristian Ukkonen [SMTP:kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi]
Sent:  Monday, August 10, 1998 5:25 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: 371 and 576 specs (fwd)

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Tesla List wrote:

> > Anyone out there with actual data sheets for these
> > HV rectifier tubes? What allowed positions of
> > installation, is oil immersion required, etc..
> I wouldn't think oil immersion is required at only 25 kV, assuming they
> have an anode cap, as opposed to having the anode come out on the base.
> This is ordinary color TV 2nd Anode kind of voltage, and, as you know,
> except for the x-rays, no exotic (i.e. oil immersion) precautions were
> taken in that application.

Well, that depends entirely how they are designed.. The shape of the
envelope (ie. creep distance etc.) and the requirement for cooling by oil
are two parameters.. There are tubes that are rated for full current only
with certain environment, like forced air cooling or oil immersion. So
without spec.sheet it is not a trivial question, I'm afraid.

X-rays at that voltage are not a concern with metal housing of PS.

> > I'm building a little DC supply and am considering
> > options for rectifiers..
> If you are not in a transient laden environment, I'd go solid state stacks.
> Easier to build, cool, run, etc. With vacuum tubes you have to have the HV
> insulated filament transformer (or batteries). Unless you have a fabulously
> cheap source of tubes, the solid state option will be cheaper, too.

21kV peak, 250mA average with intent to run tesla coils with it is not my
favourite reason for solid-state diodes. Of course, it can be done..

  Kristian Ukkonen.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law |