[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Quench, Coherence etc.

----------
From:  Richard Hull [SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 11, 1998 11:56 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Quench, Coherence etc.

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

  I think it is a matter of degree.  Old hands have a sense of arc dynamics and
system synergism.  I think that small coils can all be quenched easily by half
hearted efforts.  As power goes up and big terminal capacitances come into
play, the quench become much more critical and has literally no set point by
simple theory.  I would say that a 10kw 3 or 4 notch quench system might be
running away a bit and need better quench efforts.  First notch quench is a
good idea whose time might have passed for larger systems with heavy loads.

I think I posted some info on this over 2 years ago when first working with the
H2 thyratrons and comparing against three different spark gap systems. with the
same coil.  First notch quench looked good until the coupling got tight.  Long
arcing magnifier systems here work mostly on the second notch or even an
occassional third notch.

Richard Hull, TCBOR