[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

coil costs

----------
From:  Dsurfr-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:Dsurfr-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 12, 1998 6:43 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  coil costs

Hey All: I'm a "newbie" coiler that's approaching that next step, rebuilding
my current set up to obtain better results. I've been able to achieve a petty
strong 16" arc to ground but I know I can achieve much better results by
improving my admittedly "cheap" tank circuit. Now I want to step up to a
better spark gap, capacitors, primary coil etc. To date I have gotten by with
salvaging, scrounging & making do with what I had at hand or paying as little
as I had to achieve somewhat minimal results. I assume this is how most
coilers start out, hoping to get good arcs in the process. Now that I know a
bit more (thanks to the list postings & actual results) I can see where I need
improvement in my coil. & aside from "tweeking" what I have already made, I
can see that I need to spend more money on materials to work with in
fabricating better parts. (not that I ever intend to give up scavenging or
"making do" as a part of the learning process) In particular I'm trying to
replace my salt water caps with either stacked or rolled poly's. From what
I've gathered so far it seems like they are going to cost me at least $60.00
per .01mF HDPE cap.
I was wondering if anyone has ever compiled a list from various coilers on
what they've spent on their coils. I know there have been some good attempts
to amass the technical specs on their coils on the lists in the past few years
but has anyone ever added "cost" or "life span"in their form. It might be
useful to beginers to see what they will be getting into. It also might
provide a low, high & mean cost that could be useful to coilers across the
globe when they decide what to purchase & where.
Just a thought. Jim