[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pig Impedance. What difference does it make?

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, August 14, 1998 5:17 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Pig Impedance. What difference does it make?

  Mike -

  That impedance rating means percent impedance. The percent impedance is
used by EE's to find the amperes when the secondary winding is shorted.
Fuses and circuit breakers are selected based on this rating plus a lot
more circuit info.

  The percent impedance is important to coilers because the lower ratings
indicate more amperes when the secondary is shorted. When money is no
object some coilers have had special low percent impedance transformers
made for them. This gives a longer spark without increasing the KW rating,
a little secret of which few coilers are aware. With Tesla coil operation
the power transformer secondary is shorted by the operating gap. I show a
test to find this rating in one of my books.

  John Couture