[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Scoped? primary

----------
From:  chris.swinson [SMTP:chris.swinson-at-zetnet.co.uk]
Sent:  Sunday, August 16, 1998 4:03 PM
To:  tesla list
Subject:  Scoped? primary

Hi all,

I found that you can connect you scope to the primary of your coil without
blowing the thing up.

What I did was to se my coil up using the 8th turn of my primary, as I have
14 turns on this one, I took the free end and connected about 5meg onto it
and then went to my probe.  I didn't connect the ground I left it floating.
I tried to move it and I got xapped so I ain't a good idea anyway.

I sawthe RMS power at about 10Kv at the resonat frequency.  I forgot to
write down the frequency, Huh.  I also saw the huge surge of the coil which
appeard right on top of the RMS wave.  Rather odd seeing 2 waves as 1.

The first surge was off the screen, and about half way down that cycle it
cam back on my screen and then got smaller and smaller until it flat lined.

This is a clear indication of the cap loosing X% each cycle of the resonant
frequency.  As there are losses each cycle, this clearly shows up and It was
really clear as well to see what was going on.

Just thought I'd mention it.

All the beST,
Chris.

chris.swinson-at-zetnet.co.uk