[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

sparks for cheap

----------
From:  Michael Nolley [SMTP:mhnolley-at-willamette.edu]
Sent:  Monday, August 17, 1998 2:18 AM
To:  Tesla List
Cc:  'Tesla List'

	I have some interesting information for those of you who would
like to generate huge sparks for cheap- - - last night I rigged a setup
which has been familiar to me for the last 2 years in my high voltage
work- I wired 5 MOT's together in a dual parallel-series arrangement,
with the primaries in parallel, and the secondaries in series.
Altogether I was able to generate foot and a half long arcs at 10 kv out of
the arrangement without the TC assembly.  Since my coil isn't running
correctly, I couldn't tell you how well this would drive a coil, but I
assume that given good quenching and suitable ballast it might perform
well.  Even after several minutes of arcing, the only thing that got warm
was the cord and the circuit breaker.  It has been my experience that the
Tabushi transformers and other high current MOT's are the only ones
suitable for this kind of service.  Lower current ones tend to smoke and die.
I don't know if any of you have tried this, but I thought I'd bring it up
if you hadn't.
	BTW, my coil is running, sort of... I'm in the process of
building a different primary-- I'm guessing that 1 inch spiral wound coax
will not provide the correct inductance for a lower powered system.  Is
this correct?
	Comments welcome, as always.
		--Mike