[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Results of new single static gap

----------
From:  Mark Finnis [SMTP:mefinnis-at-medicine.adelaide.edu.au]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 18, 1998 5:55 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Results of new single static gap

At 09:06 AM 18/08/98 -0500, Mike wrote:

>Gary,
>   Thanks for the post on your single static gap.  I presently have been
using
>two gaps made 1 inch diameter silver relay contacts.  My total gap length is
>about the same as your single gap.  It has shown poor quenching, but now I
>have hopes that by just using airflow as you did, I should achieve decent
>quenching .

Just a quick comment.  I suspect the electrode diameter probably has some
optimal value in relation to the gap distance.  With 1" and a narrow gap,
surely hot gases will tend to build-up in the gap and perpertuate the arc ???

Then again, too narrow & you won't have the heat transfer capabilities.

Would be interested to see one of the clever chaps measure a range of tip
diameters at a constant gap distance.

Mark

Tesla Page <http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis>