[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Government surplus pole pigs

----------
From:  Jim Monte [SMTP:JDM95003-at-UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 19, 1998 11:39 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com; thorntor-at-rc.pafb.af.mil
Subject:  Re: Government surplus pole pigs

Russ,

You really need to know more about the transformers before you even
consider the logistics of distribution.  Here is why I say this:

  " the big ones" could be very big.  It is truly the ambitious
  coilers who are interested in transformers in the MVA range.

  Distribution transformers come in a wide range of voltages, and
  many are a bit low for Tesla coil use.  In fact, I was told by
  a company that rebuilds them that the "standard" 14.4 kV voltage
  used in Tesla coils is uncommon.

  Make sure that these are PCB free.  Otherwise you will buying a
  lot of potential headaches.

Assuming you have a good batch -- all or nearly all around 10 kVA and
14.4 kV+ and ALL PCB free -- here is a guideline for the cost.  I talked
to someone from asset recovery at a large utility company, and he said
that they sell transformers to foreign countries for $7 - $10 per kVA.
These transformers are working but "as is" .  The only thing done to
them is that they are tested to be sure that they are free of PCBs.
Since you are bidding on a lot, a guess would be that you should offer
somewhat less than this, say $3 - $5 per kVA.  At this price, it may
still be possible to get a good deal even with the shipping.  Please
look into what is actually there.  I'm not overly optimistic, but it
may be a good deal.

Jim Monte