[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Secondary frequency: I got it (fwd)

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Thursday, August 20, 1998 3:42 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Secondary frequency: I got it (fwd)

Hi Reinhard,

<snip>

> Now I do have a last question: Does anyone out there have a formula with =
> which
>  one could calc the aprox. spark length. I know it=B4s difficult and I ju=
> st want
>  to give the coiler using my prog an estimation of the spark length possi=
> ble.
>  I=B4ve heard of the theory 500W are aprox 12" sparks. I don=B4t think th=
> is is all
>  to accurate as I have buit tc=B4s with more input and less sparks and le=
> ss input
>  and more sparks. One should be able to calc the spark length using the
>  capacitance and inductance of the secondary (given input power) though. =
> Any
>  ideas ?

I have obtained 12" air streamers from a 5kV 30mA NST. However, it
was mostly voltage and little current so the sparks were not bright
and it did not attach well to nearby objects (brightest single
channel attachment was about 9").  Calculating on measured E*BPS,
input power was rougly 80W with the gap set to around 8kV. That old
500W/ft figure should be tossed out. People used to guess the input
power based on NST plate ratings which is a mile from the real value
the coil primary sees.

Malcolm