[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

sparks for cheap

----------
From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, August 23, 1998 7:46 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: sparks for cheap

<<   JohnF -

>   Do you have any comments on why the sparks were the same length for the 4
> KVA and 6 KVA inputs?

>   I think you will find that this would not occur with controlled sparks.

>   John Couture >>

John,

I don't think I bothered retuning at the 6kVA setting, that may have helped
a little.   Perhaps more streamers were formed too at the higher power, I
don't remember, but if so, then the use of a larger toroid would be
indicated.  It is also possible that the waveform was more distorted
without the ballast, causing my ammeter to read incorrectly.  I must
admit, I never worked with controlled sparks...if I
remember your definition, this is the distance at which sparks will
never *let go* (they'll stay attached).  I like to study my TC's under
*normal* operating conditions.  I consider normal conditions to be free
air operation, with occasional strikes to objects.  I especially like those
occasional long sparks that occur when the ionized paths are just right.

The use of controlled sparks can affect the quenching, and ionizing
conditions and give false results perhaps when comparing coils.  I agree
that studying coils in free air conditions is more difficult, but I believe
our fine coiling community is up to the challenge.

John Freau