[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First light, and a poor performance

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Monday, August 24, 1998 12:13 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: First light, and a poor performance

to: Steve

With small and medium size systems never start with a fixed primary of
10-11 turns.  You probably don't have enough inductance to bring the system
into tune.  Always use some scrap wire affixed to edgewise cardboard and
use 25-30 turns with a scraped tap at each turn.  Now you have a extremely
wide range of tuning options to find resonance.  After finding resonance
then you can replace this scrap wire with the exact quantity required for
proper tuning plus a few additional turns.  With this setup your main cap
value should be around .02 MFD (2.0 nF) for effective tuning.  It sounds
like you have way too much cap for this system with a 14 x 3 toroid.  The
lowest turn on the sec. coil should be at least 1 inch above the horizontal
plane of the primary coil for proper coupling -- you are way overcoupled if
you have them even, and the pri-sec spacing should be at least 1 to 1 1/2
inches.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net