[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

new power transformer

Hi All,

  For the last 6 months or so I have been running my 3KW magnifier system
with and output varying from 4-6 feet.  The problem is form marathon runs
my power transformers overheat and start smoking after 30 min.  They are
two 5 KV 300 ma transformers put in series.
    I am ready to upgrade these to a potential transformer or a 5 kva pig.
My question is are the potential transformers current limited cores? or do
these also need ballasting to work.
    The reason for leaning more for the potential transformer is that I
like to keep the system portable and not everywhere I take it has 220
available to me.  Also the pigs tend to be very heavy and hard to put on a
truck.
    Could anyone give me advise either way.

Thanks,

Dwight Duncan