[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Plastic Pop Bottle SW Caps

Last night I did a few experiments with a soda pop bottle PSWC (Plastic Salt
Water Capacitor) .  The wall of a 2l plastic coke bottle measured 0.010 +-
0.0005 inch wall thickness.  With a foil wrapping the bottle had measured
2.4 nF, I fully expected to get one or two  nF more with electrolyte
replacing the outer foil, but to my surprise the capacitance increased to
8.5 nF !!  Mike you were right about my skill at the subtle art of
bottle-foiling !

Then to the dungeon:

The test article, a 2l coke bottle with saturated saline inside, set inside
a cut off gallon of fermented gatorade and salt.  A dead ant was allowed to
remain in the electrolyte.  #14 Cu wire was immersed in the interior and
exterior electrolyte.

The test stand, a 450VA, 15 kV NST with a 2cm fixed gap, and a large PVC
pipe cap as an insulated support for the victim.

TEST 1 : When the PSWC was clip leaded across the gap, the arc became a very
loud and satisfying roar.  The internal electrolyte level was about 2 in
above the external level, and streamers were observed over the exterior of
the dielectric in a band between the inner and outer electrolyte levels.
Especially bright discharges were seen on the dielectric close to the outer
electrode wire, and the test was terminated.

TEST 2 : Extra dielectric was placed as a spacer between the outer electrode
and the bottle dielectric, and high voltage was reapplied.  Corona and
surface streamers were seen in the band previously mentioned.  After about
one minute, the PSWC shorted out very suddenly.  A small dielectric puncture
was found several inch below the surface, under a fragment of the bottle
label.

TEST 3 : Another PSWC was prepared with a well-stripped 2l coke bottle.
This failed after about 3 minutes at the inner (upper) electrolyte level by
arcing thru to the outer electrode wire.

Conclusions : Everybody is right.  Polyethylene Terpthalate is a great
dielectric.  Soda pop bottle PSWCs will puncture and leak.  Foil is not the
way to go.

Recommendations : Try again using a metal outer vessel for more symmetric
current distribution, probably with a spacer covering the bottom to prevent
dielectric stress concentration.  Equalize inner and outer electrolyte
levels.  Use an oil layer above the electrolyte.  Cleanliness is next to
Godliness and Saint Tesla, get bottles 'squeaky clean' before use.  Keep
electrodes clear of dielectric to allow current density to diffuse thru
electrolyte.  Symmetric current diffusion and smooth, clean dielectric seem
to be the keys.  No failures were attributed to the dead ant.

I am grateful to the folks who gave me the benefit of their experiences, and
solicit any further input.