[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Improved wire screen torroid?

All this talk of toroid construction using metal screening  has got me
to thinking of a possibly reasonable method of construction. My idea
is pretty long so here it goes. First make all the thick styrofoam
reenforcement disks like has already been suggested. Now take a
flexible strip of (metal, plastic or, ?) equal in length to the inside
radius of the desired toroid. Screw this metal strap to the long edge
of a  rectangular piece of screening and then glue or screw the disks
standing up with all their planes parallel to each other but evenly
spaced along the metal strip. Now wrap the metal screen around the
disks being sure to leave some slack. Now screw the free edge of the
screening to the opposite edge forming a simple cylinder. It may now
be possible to form the whole assembly into a ring with the inner
metal strap preventing the undesired but very likely tendency of the
screen to fold in on itself. Now assuming that all this process works
and assuming that you were flush enough to spring for good copper
screening you could then wrap the seam where the cylinder ends meet
with a piece of copper tape. Solder the tape where it overlaps the
screen to make a smooth joint . Side Note:( It if you have enough
copper tape and solder you could even wrap the whole toroid with it
and solder the whole mess into a perfect toroid) . Now that you have
this fancy ring make a couple of large disks using of thin plywood
apply some contact cement and add a layer of heavy duty aluminum foil
to one side of each disk. You could also use copper clad PC board to
make the disks. Now sandwich the pieces togather with a long  bolt. If
you used PC board and copper screening you could now solder the top
and bottom into place. Wa la instant torus. Well maybe? Let me know
what you all think.

Also I would like to hear much more about this Fort Worth Teslathon
that I missed. Is it an annual event?  Who  all was there and why
wasn't I invited dammit : )

adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com
Dallas Texas