[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Q Factors

Tesla List wrote:

> to Bert
>
> John's second equation is the foundation for all of Tesla's magnifiers:
> The output potential of an RF inductor is equal to the applied potential x
> its dynamic operating Q factor.

OK... but the original discussion refered to 2-coil systems, and the
seeming disparity between the predicted and actual behavior of Q as
input wattage was increased. John's materials do not cover magnifiers.

The third equation is perhaps the most
> interesting of all.  It allows all coilers to easily find their dynamic
> operating Q factor of any system (classic or magnifier) by simply using a
> storage scope or shooting some camera pictures of a regular scope's display
> and then finding the decrement factor, ie, log amplitude 1/ amplitude 2.
<SNIP>

I agree. This, and other similar approaches, are very valuable for
measuring dynamic Q on a "sparking" system.

> I've also noticed on this List that ocassionally some "builders" like to
> "pick on" John as a theorist --- much like experimental physicists
> jealously like to "pick on" theorists in their field.  Many years ago I
> provided John with the hard data on dozens of our commercial coils -- data
> that he has carefully and thoughtfully distilled to produce his manuals.
> His manuals and books are correct from both a practical and theorectical
> standpoint and will withstand scrutiny from any builders standards.  John's
> books and manuals provide excellent guidelines for all coil builders and
> are especially invaluable to the new coil builders on the Tesla List. It is
> unfair and most of all blatantly incorrect to assume John is an ivory tower
> builder.  His data is correct and not all derived for theorectical
> constructions. Enough said on this subject (ps Bert -- I wasn't implicating
> you in any manner).  Your insights are always a welcome treasure to the
> List.
>
> DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

No problem! I also have provided John with measurement data on various
occasions, including instrument and dynamic Q using an approach that was
similar in principle to log-decrement. My concerns were more from the
theoretical side to address what was probably a typo in the first
equation, and to better understand the applicability of Q = Vs/Vp in the
classical 2-coil case. It's not yet clear to me how this relationship
holds for the classical 2-coil case.

After exploring the derivation with John, we may find that the apparent
disparity in Q vs wattage to which John refers stems from one or two
assumptions that are being violated in the 2-coil case. It's still not
clear that a direct relationship should exist between wattage level, Vs,
and Q, although there may be a degree of correlation for other reasons.

-- Bert --