[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ball Lightning (Moderator Comment)

From: "Dennis C. Lee" <atech-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

A discussion on the phenomenon of ball lightning itself may, upon
reflection, provide insight on how to properly adapt tesla coil design
parameters to produce the desired effect. Putting restictions on discussion
topics may have a negative effect. For instance, the comment on submarine
relay contacts producing ball lightning may at first seem unrelated to tesla
coils. But focused analysis on such a system may help refine tesla coil
design. For instance, is the submarine relay switching AC or DC? If it
switches AC, perhaps ball lightning is produced due to breaking the contacts
at a certain precise point of the waveform. This may suggest design
considerations for tesla coil power supply circuitry. If it switches DC,
perhaps the submarine relay contact shape should be considered and adapted
to the tesla coil secondary elecrode modifications. As I recall, Tesla's
three coil wireless patent mentions design parameters to prevent ball
lightning from breaking out of the junction between the secondary and the
third coil. See! Give a guy the chance to ramble for a bit, and a possible
suggestion may come up.

At 10:29 PM 8/26/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>	Although ball lightning is really off topic for this list, the subject
>making ball lightning with Tesla coils is very acceptable.  I have been
>limiting some posts that deal only with ball lightning that are not Tesla
>coil related.
>	I would request that posts which deal with ball lightning be made with
>some relevance to Tesla coils.
>
>Thanks,
>
>	Terry Fritz
>	terryf-at-verinet-dot-com