[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dynamic Q

From: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>

> Date forwarded: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 06:05:33 -0600
> Date sent:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 05:39:35 -0600
> To:             tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:        Dynamic Q
> Forwarded by:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> From:           Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> From: "bmack" <bmack-at-frontiernet-dot-net>
>
> Hello again
>
> I saw the the above term and liked it. I use boring terms like loaded
> Q.  Did Bert coin this phrase?
>
> Anyway, what kind of numbers are you getting for dynamic Q?
>
> I find that it's less than a tenth of the calculated unloaded Q
> (undynamic?)
> even before ionization and way before breakout.
>

> Can anyone offer an explanation?
>
> Jim McVey

How are you calculating unloaded Q?  I have measured an extensive
range of coils with unloaded Qs ranging from somewhere around 60
(terrible former) to around 300 in the practical Tesla coil range.
Other coils built for measurement purposes went even higher. These
were measured without breakout. Loaded Qs vary considerably depending
on the degree of loading. Corona only is not such a huge dip but
attached sparks cause a massive drop as one would expect.

Malcolm